Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pad See Ew

My new found love for Thai food began with Pad See Ew.
To be totally honest, I haven't ventured far in my Thai food journey. I have found a dish that I absolutely love and have trouble ordering anything else.

Everyone should (attempt to) learn to make their favorite takeout food. Our attempts at this in the past have been well... less than successful. Homemade pizza is just not as good as Papa John's and homemade sesame chicken just doesn't have that special touch (special touch = deep fryer). I assumed that homemade Thai food would not be up to par with the real deal.. I was wrong! Our homemade Pad See Ew turned out absolutely delicious!

After searching through several different recipes I was able to mix and match and come up with a simple, yet perfect recipe!

The Ingredients-

1 lb rice noodles (my store didn't have wide rice noodles so I used thin ones)
3 cups chopped collard greens
2 Tbs vegetable oil
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup thinly diced chicken
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbs light soy sauce
3 Tbs dark soy sauce/thick soy sauce (stir fry sauce)
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs

*this will make 4 LARGE servings or 6 smaller ones, you can easily half the recipe to make a smaller batch.. but seriously, you will want the leftovers!!

Directions-

After removing the stalks, roughly chop the collard greens. Place greens into boiling water for 5 mins just to take the bitter edge off. Drain and set aside.
Place uncooked rice noodles into hot water to soften for 20-30 mins. We cheated and sped this process up by bringing the water to a boil and boiling the noodles for 5 mins. Set aside.
In a large wok, brown garlic in vegetable oil.
Add chicken to garlic and cook until no longer pink.
Stir in collard greens.
Toss in rice noodles.
Add in sugar, soy sauce, thick soy sauce and pepper.
Move noodles to one side of the wok. Add eggs and scramble.
Enjoy!
Congrats! You can now make your very own takeout!!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Jessica! I love Pad See Ew - A while back, I contemplated making it, but couldn't find the wide rice noodles. Did it taste just as good with narrow ones? Hope you're enjoying your new camera! I'll be buying the t2i next month, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be trying this. This is mine and Tyler's favorite dish as well!

    ReplyDelete