Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Playdough

Today it was 98 freaking degrees. It's September 10th, that is just not okay. I have been daydreaming of chilly days, fall decor, homemade applesauce, and pumpkin muffins for a month now. A hundred degree day was not in my plans. Summer, you have had your turn, now kindly back off so I can get my sweaters out thankyouverymuch.

That being said, after venturing out into the heat this morning, Cal and I decided to skip the great outdoors this afternoon and lounge at home together. Thinking back to my days of teaching preschool and needing to fill many long afternoons with toddler friendly activities, homemade playdough came to mind. I figured it was worth the risk. The risk being Cal eating large goopy globs of the stuff just prior to tracking it around and smashing it into the numerous rugs around the house. Much to my surprise, he rose to the occasion and had perfect playdough etiquette. Somehow, without any prompting, he even knew how to use the roller to flatten out his playdough canvas. I was so proud (and immediately began daydreaming of making pies with my boy down the road). But I must say, the absolute best part of our playdough date was the fact that it entertained Calvin for well over a half hour.. that's more that 3 hours in toddler time!! It was magical.

What's even more magical? The idea of watching Cal kick around fallen leaves at the park as I sit back and sip on a pumpkin spice latte. So come on fall, let's get this party started!

*Here's the recipe we used if you are looking for a good one..

Homemade Playdough
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
-  food coloring

Instructions
- In a saucepan, mix together all the ingredients, except the food coloring. Stir and cook over medium heat until well blended (there may be a few lumps). Once it begins to thicken (about 1-2 minutes) add several drops of food coloring. Continue stirring until the dough thickens and sticks to the spoon.
- Remove dough from pan and cool on wax paper.

We followed the step by step photo instructions at this blog and it turned out great!

1 comment:

  1. Hey - your random blog stalker here. Now that I'm home more often with my kids, I am always looking for cheap, easy, cheap, easy...did I mention cheap and easy? ways to entertain. Can't wait to try this - the only ingredient I didn't have in house was cream of tartar, so we took a trip to Target yesterday to pick some up. Because that's what I usually do for entertainment otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete